Seismic Activity - Teacher Info
Copyright 1998 by James
Click here to go to James
P. Riser's home pages.
This set of seismic related internet based activities was designed
- Give students a chance to do interesting and meaningful research
using the internet.
- Help students better understand why and where earthquakes
and volcanoes occur.
- Present students with an opportunity to use maps as a means
of communicating information.
- Acquaint students with plate tectonics.
- Create a situation in which students might successfully combine
internet based research with conventional book based reference
- Help excite students about expanding their knowledge of the
world about them.
- Give students a chance to practice their writing skills.
- Provide students with an opportunity to practice their problem
Students will be presented with a selection of seismic related
theories for them to explore utilizing a set of preselected internet
addresses. Any available text based reference material may also
be used. Students will design their own course of action and use
what they need from the internet sources to support or disprove
their selected theory. Each team that tackles this activity may
present different findings - based on what they discover in their
research. This is to be expected and encouraged.
Click here to go to the student